Center For Refugee Services
Other helpful resources

Health and Educational Resources

Public Library Information and Directions

Ed Cody Library is the closest location from Wurzbach, Datapoint Dr, and. Garden Dale area

Return To Top of Page

Public Transportation information

Home page

Bus Schedules

Information on Bus Fares and Passes

Return To Top of Page

San Antonio Pregnancy Care Center

all services are confidential and free of charge
Phone: (210) 614-4124

Return To Top of Page

University Health System

  To request a new appointment, cancel, or reschedule an existing appointment or to review/change personal information

CareLink Hours and Locations

University Health System/Refugee Clinic
(for shots/Green Card health screen)
Phone: (210)-358-0800

Return To Top of Page

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

This site contains information on the application for travel documents, Green card ...etc, as well as 
Alien's change of address

Return To Top of Page

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Phone:  1-800-799-7233

Return To Top of Page


Legal Services

1305 N.Flores
San Antonio, TX, 78212
Phone: 210-544-781 and 210-226-7722

Texas Law Help

Return To Top of Page


Free ESL and GED Classes

Classes are with the Community Family Resources and Learning Center. 
Call for class schedule.
 Use one bus from Wurzbach (#534)
The center gives a reduced fare bus card for the students!!
The nearest one is located at:
 107 W. Rampart
San Antonio, TX 78216
Phone: (210)-207-7650

Useful Site to Learn English for Arabic Speakers:

Return To Top of Page

Assistance with Electric Bill

CPS provides assistance through the Residential Energy Assistance Partnership (REAP). This is a nonprofit foundation that helps needy families pay their cooling and utility bills. Another option is Project WARM to help with utility and cooling bills.


Return To Top of Page

Resources for Jobs

For Jobs and Other Services in the Community

Return To Top of Page

U.S. Legislation Related to Refugees

Legislation that Protects Refugees in Texas

Legislation that Protects Refugees in the U.S.

U.S. Government's Fiscal Year 2010:  Report on Authorized Refugees in the U.S.

U.S. Department of State
Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM)

International Organization for Migration (IOM)

Return To Top of Page

Education Resources

Texas Education Code

Return To Top of Page

Refugee Youth and Children Resources

Bridging Refugee Youth and Children's Services

NISD: Board Policy Manual: Admissions

U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights

Race and National Origin Discrimination 

Age Discrimination

Disability Discrimination<

 Disability Discrimination  

Return To Top of Page

How to Apply for WIC (A Nutrition Program for Growing Families)
On the home page, in the center is a section "You & Your Family's Health". Put the cursor on it.
Then click the link that shows up entitled "Family Health".  Next click "Women's Health". Then click "WIC".
Tips: There is a newer clinic (not listed on their locations sheet) called Christas Santa Rosa at 5430 Fredericksburg Rd. that is very close, possibly even walking distance, to where many of the refugees live. The phone number is 210-340-1161. It is open Monday-Thursday. The other clinic often used is at 3600 Fredericksburg Rd. Phone 210-738-3486.
Be sure to call and set up an appointment, or you will have to make two trips. Ask for one early in the day before the "backlog" in clients arrive.
Read carefully the section regarding proof of ID, proof of income, and proof of residency.

Return To Top of Page

Household Items and Clothing Resources

Christian Assistance Ministry
5084 De Zavala Rd
San Antonio, TX 78249

CAM is located on Vance Jackson and DeZavala in the University United Methodist Church south part of the campus.  Hours are Mondays and Wednesdays from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.   In order to receive needed items, one must take I-94 cards for each member of the family plus an apartment lease document that has their signature.  At the site, there is an application that needs to be filled out.  One must fill out front and back of the form and sign both sides.  It is important that a translator accompany the person wanting assistance if this person does not speak or write in English. 

Return To Top of Page

Copyright © 2017 |